UFC 279 is headlined by two of the promotion’s most beloved fighters: Nate Diaz and Khamzat Chimaev. A prevailing sentiment going into card is that UFC president Dana White and company are feeding an old dog to a rising contender on his way out of the company. The odds reflect that with Chimaev sitting as a mammoth 11-1 favorite heading into their clash, set for Sept. 10 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Chimaev (11-0) blitzed into the UFC like no fighter before him. He landed a combined 112 strikes in his first four UFC fights while only absorbing a single blow. Four consecutive finishes set him up for a big leap in competition against recent welterweight title challenger Gilbert Burns. Chimaev showed grit and outgunned Burns in a Fight of the Night decision win.
Diaz (20-13) has repeatedly accused the promotion of handcuffing him to his contract. His submission win over Conor McGregor at UFC 196 won over fans and developed Diaz into a cult hero. However, he has repeatedly clashed with UFC brass and stalled negotiations. Diaz has only competed five times in the last six years whereas Chimaev has fought five times in two years.
Can’t get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news.
Plus, another fan favorite returns in a co-main event bout one weight class above his normal spot. “El Cucuy” Tony Ferguson is back to make his debut at 170 pounds when he takes on Li Jingliang. Ferguson, 38, has lost four straight bouts against some of the best fighters in the lightweight division, including a brutal front-kick knockout against Michael Chandler in May.
And Kevin Holland is back as he takes on a short notice fight against Daniel Rodriguez at 180 pounds. Holland is coming off a pair of victories this year, including a submission of Tim Means in June and a knockout of Alex Oliveira in March. Rodriguez, meanwhile, hasn’t stepped back in the Octagon since 2021, but he enters on a three-fight win streak that includes impressive wins over Mike Perry and Kevin Lee.
Below is the complete fight card for UFC 279 along with the latest odds from Caesars Sportsbook. Check back all week long for the latest news, features and other content around this massive event.
UFC 279 fight card, odds
- Khamzat Chimaev -1100 vs. Nate Diaz +700, welterweights
- Li Jingliang -300 vs. Tony Ferguson +240, welterweights
- Kevin Holland -210 vs. Daniel Rodriguez +175, 180-pound catchweights
- Irene Aldana -180 vs. Macy Chiasson +155, women’s bantamweights
- Ion Cutelaba -220 vs. Johnny Walker +180, light heavyweights
- Hakeem Dawodu -220 vs. Julian Erosa +180, featherweights
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Jailton Almeida, heavyweights
- Jamie Pickett -135 vs. Denis Tiuliulin +115, middleweights
- Jake Collier -420 vs. Chris Barnett +330, heavyweights
- Norma Dumont -360 vs. Danyelle Wolf +280, women’s featherweights
- Alatengheili -165 vs. Chad Anheliger +140, bantamweights
- Melissa Martinez -165 vs. Elise Reed +140, women’s strawweights
- Darian Weeks -130 vs. Yohan Lainesse +110, welterweights
UFC 279 info
- Date: Sept. 10
- Location: T-Mobile Arena — Las Vegas
- Start time: 10 p.m. ET (Main card)
- How to watch: ESPN+ PPV